Wednesday, December 28, 2011

SBT

If I can ever crack SBT and IntelliJ, I'm gonna post about it, a lot. I just can't seem to get to a point where I can get things working properly with a Scala config. Every time I try, I just get frustrated and give up. The biggest barrier into Scala for me right now is documentation. Critical features like SBT just don't have good docs. I can't seem to run Scalatest Spec tests in IntelliJ, I just end up with weird compiler errors. I can't seem to get the SBT console working in IntelliJ either, and I can't seem to generate an IntelliJ project with either IDEA plugin for SBT, I just end up with weird dependency errors or something else going on. The local Scala users group seems to be barely active. They have one event listed, in June 2012, and are asking people if they are going. It's December 2011, that's six months away, I don't even know if I'm going to be in this state in six months, let alone able to attend some event. They don't seem to have regular meet-ups from what I can gather from their page, which is not a whole lot. I've resorted now to posting questions on Stack overflow, which seems to be turning out pretty well to be honest. People answer quickly and often include lots of helpful information on questions that once I've read the answer seem like they probably made me look pretty dumb. Well, I guess if you don't ask, you'll never know, so I'll take dumb yesterday, smart today over dumb forever. I might separate actual Scala posts with code from the main blog at some point too. Seems like they are confusing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment